We love stylish, modern design in the nursery. And, what better place to start your modern nursery decorating project than with a modern crib? We agonized over picking the five best modern cribs because there are so many great options out there. And, we cheated a bit and created a runners-up category for a few favorites we just couldn’t leave out.
1) The Stokke Sleepi crib – We love this modern round crib not only for its dare-to-be-different shape, but for its convertibility and portability. The Stokke Sleepi crib converts from crib to toddler bed and its size and shape makes it easy to move the crib through small doorways and around tightcorners. The crib is made with environmentally-friendly beechwood for the eco-friendly mom. The clean design works with contemporary and traditional décor and the round shape softens the hard edges you often see in modern design – perfect for a soft, cozy baby nursery. $1000 at Land of Nod (get a $100 AmEx gift card if you purchase by 2/28/10).
2) Solare Crib by Q Collection Junior – We love the arch on either end of this modern crib which serves two purposes. First, it creates the illusion of a classic crib canopy and second, it holds a mobile for entertaining your wee one. There is enough room underneath for storage and it is made of locally-sourced solid ash and bent wood construction. Toddler bed conversion kit is sold separately. $1220 at Fawn & Forest.
3) Nursery Works Studio Crib – Clean, simple, and modern is what you expect from Nursery Works. How they manage to make a piece of nursery furniture that functions as a crib, changing table, storage drawer, and storage cabinet that can convert into a toddler bed and fold-out desk AND doesn’t look like an eye-sore is the brilliance in their design. Toddler bed conversion kit is sold separately. $1780 on Amazon.
4) Muu Kids Modern Crib- We love the shape and style of this modern crib from Muu as well as the option to decorate it with colorful, interchangeable panels. Made of solid maple, poplar and wood fiber, the modern crib above has a soft green and brown decorative leafpanel – great for a nature themed nursery. You can choose from blue whales, pink flowers, or blue helicopters. The crib is available in either a natural or walnut base finish (shown here) and you can buy a conversion kit to convert it to a toddler bed. $1175 at Petit Tresor.
5) Baby Mod, Roxanne 3-1 Convertible Modern Crib – If the brilliance in Nursery Works is smart, modern design, the brilliance of WalMart is smart, modern pricing with pretty good modern design to boot. Walmart’s Baby Mod Roxanne crib is made of New Zealand pine wood construction and comes with a drawer and two storage compartments. It’s also convertible to a toddler bed (kit sold separately). For modern design and modern price, you can’t beat this. $199 at Walmart.
And our runners-up…
Sorelle City Lights Commuter Crib – Because it is so eco-friendly and nicely priced. $406 at Babyearth.
Oeuf Crib – Because it’s Oeuf. $890 at Rosenberry Rooms.
Spot on Echo Crib – Because of the “wow” affect. Gorgeous design. Gorgeous price. $595 at Design Public.
Once you have selected the right crib for you, be sure to see the best modern, nursery wall decals to make sure the crib doesn’t get spoiled from all the attention